Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Valerie Arbizu

Hello!

My name is Valerie Arbizu and I am currently teaching AP English Literature at Evergreen Valley High School in [East Side] San Jose. I have been teaching for five years after leaving the corporate world and love it!

A few of my crazy colleagues have given me the rare opportunity to be the English Department Chair and the Professional Development Coordinator for the past two years (after spending two years as the Tech Lead for the Professional Development Committee). After four years as a trainer of teachers, it's time to focus back on my own learning and recharge. :)

My good friend Mark Gross once commented on the marginalization of students as we make them put their iPods and cell phones away during the school day - that doing so is in essentially telling students that what matters to them isn't acceptable in an educational environment. I want to make my classroom as relevant and accessible to both teens and teachers - and that means embracing all of the technology that my students use.

When I'm not teaching, I have a four-year-old son (Maxwell) and my husband of nearly eight years to keep me busy. We're so excited that Maxwell is finally completely potty-trained and reliable enough to take on longer trips - so travel is finally a prospect for us once again! We also love movies, the beach, and anything that makes our son dance.

Looking forward to meeting and working with you all in a few short weeks!

1 comment:

Recep Iscan said...

Valerie! I appreciate your perspective on students and technology. Looking forward to working with you in the program. Take it easy until then!

Recep