Thursday, June 7, 2007

George Kwong

Hello everyone,

It is really neat reading all the different short biographies. I am a 3rd grade teacher at Schafer Park Elementary in Hayward. This is my 5th year as a teacher. I am looking forward to being part of EWYL this summer. I can't wait to learn about using technology more in the classroom because I am technologically-challenged.

A little bit of what I do at Schafer Park. I coach 3 soccer teams at my school (2 boys and 1 girls). Our last game is this Saturday the 9th. We have games at 9:00 am, 12:00 noon, and 3:00 pm. I am also partnered with another teacher in advising Student Council. With another teacher, we perform a Lunar New Years assembly around Chinese New Years with lion dancing, fashion show, dances, martial arts, etc. I organize and referee an intra-school soccer tournament where different classes play each other, one for grades 1 to 3 and another for grades 4 to 6. Fourteen games later, we have our champions. As the referee, you would think I could get my class to win but alas the trophy has not yet graced Room 23 in this 3rd year of competition.

Prior to becoming a teacher, I was an accountant and restaurant owner. My family has been in the restaurant business since coming to California in 1972 from the Bahamas. When my Dad reached retirement age, I took over the business to keep Mom gainfully employed until she could retire.

I am looking forward to learning from EWYL and all of you. Many of you are already so adept at using technology in the classroom. See you in July.

Best Regards,

George

2 comments:

Recep Iscan said...

George! My sister teaches at Glassbrook... not too far from you. I'm looking forward to talking to you about the intra-school soccer tournaments you set up. Catch you at EWYL!

Recep

Anonymous said...

I am switching to third grade this year, so I am excited to hear your ideas and tips. See you Monday.