Thursday, June 7, 2007

Sophia

Hi!


I'm Sophia. I teach World History (1500 - 1938) to 9th graders at Mountain View High School. Yup. I've got 130 Freshmen every day, but I wouldn't have it any other way! I have been a teacher for 10 years, but this is my first year in the South Bay. Next year I will be piloting our new 3rd Semester of world history (Current World Studies: 1935 - present), and I am thrilled to finally have the time to really teach the modern era. (No more Korean War in 15 minutes or less for me!). I am the designated computer trainer for my department, so this year has seen a good deal of me learning how to use our district's programs, and then helping explain them to others in my department. I'll also be leading some trainings over the summer. You can see my school web page at: http://www.mvla.net/caramagno.



When I'm not teaching, I design and make costumes for theatrical groups (Renn Faire, Civil War, Dicken's Faire, Sci-Fi Conventions, etc) and I belong to a Pirate Reenactment group that performs in the Bay Area. You can see some of the costumes I'm working on at http://www.iphigen.com/PiratePhotos.html. That is my Pirate Costume show page. I also do period dancing, including Swing, Lindy-Hop, Victorian Ballroom and I've just started Belly Dance! Below is a picture of my husband and I at our October wedding. It was a Chinese-Western-Sci-Fi Wedding, so a bit unusual, but very fun!

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the Institute this Summer and usung some of this fabulous technology (my last school didn't even have a computer lab) in the classroom.


See you all soon!

2 comments:

Debbie daSilva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Sophia, I will be teaching one class of 7th grade history and we have a Renaissance Fair every year. I would love some tips - I'd like to make my own costume this year - renting it was a little pricey.

Looking forward to seeing you!