Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Steve Burrell

Hi everybody!

My name is Steve Burrell and I feel so fortunate to be joining the EWYL team this summer as an instructor. It should be a whirlwind, tech-filled three weeks!

As the year comes to end, I am winding up my fifteenth

year of teaching seventh grade language arts and social studies (sometimes I'm not sure who's crazier me or my students.) Currently, I just finished my second year at Lawson Middle School in Cupertino after spending the previous ten at Cupertino Middle School.

Technology has always been part of my career, all the way back to the lab full of Apple IIe computers. Besides teaching core, I've also taught computer electives, yearbook, and provided our campus with technical support. Three years ago I spent the summer as an EWYL participant just prior to beginning a Enhancing Education Through Technology grant at Cupertino Middle School. The goal of the grant was to use technology to level the playing field for special education students by mainstreaming them into a classroom with one-to-one computers for all students. This experience has truly been career changing as it accomplished what it set out to do--empower the less fortunate students!

During my free time, I love spending time at the beach with my wife and three beautiful kids (we live in Aptos and usually vacation on Kauai.)


I look forward to a fabulous summer with everyone...

1 comment:

Chris Heumann said...

Those are the 2nd most beautiful 3 kids I've ever seen! I'm really looking forward to working with you this summer -- lots to share and learn from each other. As always! See ya Monday.