Monday, July 2, 2007

Naomi Eckmann


Hello everyone,
Well, I wish I had a great vacation that I was writing from! If my camera had been more cooperative, I would have had some great pictures from my PSCubed trip to the recyclery in San Mateo last week. It was either that or the wastewater treatment plant, but you wouldn't have been able to smell it anyway.

I teach 6th grade science at Crittenden with Marisa and Tommy. Last year was my first year, and I can't wait for a new crop of sweet pre-hormonal students. Before I was at Crittenden, I did my student teaching in Campbell in 8th grade science, and before that I worked at the CLIP program in Cupertino doing dual-immersion with Kindergarten and 4th/5th grade.

Before I realized I was a teacher, I did a program in web design and development in Rhode Island, where I ended up teaching a class I had just taken my last semester (or was it quarter?) and before that I was a Linguistics major in college.

If I have more time than expected this week, I might start reworking my science standards website, which should allow teachers to see how science concepts build from grade to grade. There are a few JavaScript details that need to be implemented, and the whole thing needs to have a visit from the beautician. I might actually get around to planning our wedding this week instead, though... after being engaged for a year or so I suppose it's time! The iPhone in the picture is the fiance's, not mine... it's actually his pre-release prototype. Aren't all you middle school teachers excited to confiscate these?

6 comments:

Clint Johns said...

Hey Naomi,

Great having you on board! I'm so jealous that your fiance has a pre-release iPhone - does he work for apple?

What kind of web development have you worked with in the past? Any css or php??? I could use someone this summer to bounce ideas off of.

-Clint

kindarana said...

Clint, just in case you poke your head in here... I've done css, php, mysql, flash... check out http://nerdartist.com for more information. Of course, that was years ago and although it comes back eventually, the ramp-up time is more than I'm proud of.

Clint Johns said...

ahhh, I knew there would be someone out there who was a teacher and knew how to code well! Please tell me you were a CS major and not one of those annoying smart people that just "picked it up in her spare time" to validate my own existence :)

I never took the time to learn flash, but after going through your website I must say I am inspired to want to pick it up!

Here's my not-so-inspiring website: www.mrjohns.net. One of these days I need to make it look prettier, but for now it's functional.

Clint Johns said...

oh doy, you wrote that you were a Linguistics major and then did a stint in coding afterwards... well that makes me feel a bit better :)

Anonymous said...

I'm teaching at Monroe Middle School and I'm interested in hearing about your experiences there! I'm looking forward to meeting you and hearing more about your web design experience.

Judy Okolie said...

Is the phone worth the hype? I've heard comments on both sides. I'm interested in web design also, although my skills are confined to Dreamweaver and Flash. Looking forward.

-Judy